The Ramblings of a Creative Soul

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Misty




It is has been a rough week for me. My eldest made his choice for college, and I wrote my first of many checks to a college. I have been fully aware that this is was going to happen but still, the realization got me misty. I swear it was just a few weeks ago we walked hand in hand into his kindergarten classroom to start his educational odyssey. He also experienced his first heartache. That was rough to watch. I miss the days when a superhero band-aid made it all better.

This kid is most like me. We have gotten along since we first locked eyes. I brainwashed him into believing OSU is THE team to support, baseball's opening day is sacred, Bruce Springsteen rules, and there is nothing like opening up a book. I'm proud of the fact he is interested in the world around him and has a better understanding of our government than most citizens. He can converse on the great novels, what is happening in the U.K. election or the merits of Batman vs. Superman. He is a true renaissance man.

He is a wonderful judge of character and is extremely loyal to his friends. His circle of friends is diverse. Our home is their headquarters so I have learned to get to know each and every one of them. I couldn't have picked better friends for him. The door is constantly opening with the ebb and flow of the group. They have an uncanny ability to know when I have just returned from the grocery story. What amazes me is that they like to visit with my husband and I. Many nights, they are just eating and talking with us. We find that surprising given the fact when we were kids, (hubby and I were best friends growing up), hanging with parents was the last thing we wanted to do.

Now, their discussions center on their college choices, the AP and IB exams and their student internships. Graduation parties have been carefully planned to not overlap. It is a hectic time. That is probably good for me since that keeps my mind off of August when everyone will scatter. I'm getting misty again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, lost my comment; hope i can remember it, and that it doesnt show up twice!

Your son is a lucky man to have had parents like you-parents who honor, enrich and enable him to grow up into a young man.

We forget nowadays that we are raising young adults, not 'kids'.. that when we raise kids, they remain as kids but when we raise young adults, they can take their place in society and make it a better place to be.
sounds like you've done a good job.

Simple Elements Design said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Simple Elements Design said...

Alena,
Thanks for your comments. It's nice to know my ramblings are enjoyable. I have found this to be a lot of fun to do.
Thanks!